You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
News
New Waverly business to give back to community

WAVERLY — A new business set to open in Waverly in the coming weeks is already set to give back to the community.

The Hemp Geek CBD Store, located at 332 Broad St., is still preparing for its grand opening on July 31, but business will be conducted with a small catch.

According to business representatives, one percent of the gross revenue brought in by the store will go back to Waverly Recreation and the Waverly Glen Park project.

“This will be a great help for the park and the programs that we have at Waverly Rec,” recreation director Dave Shaw said. “We give out scholarships and help out families where we can for things like basketball shorts or spikes or swimming lessons. Just helping out families with whatever they need to get kids involved and included — that’s what it’s all about.”

The donation of revenue is also a reflection of the goal of the store, itself — to help people.

CBD, which is short for Cannabidiol, can help with a large variety of different degrees of pain, including pain from illnesses and joint pain.

“People think of CBD and associate it with getting high, but you won’t get high with these products,” store owner Donna Richetti said. “Too many people are afraid of it and think of it in the wrong context.”

Richetti noted that store representatives Meaghann Campbell and Jared Joseph are specially trained to help people make sure they get exactly what they need.

Once Hemp Geek is officially open for business, it will be open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for seven days a week. More information can also be found on the Hemp Geek of Waverly Facebook page.


Submitted photo  

Team Talada recently claimed victory in the Evan Davies Kickball Tournament, sponsored by New Image Fitness, RTG Fitness and Journey 333 Fitness. The tournament featured 12 teams, and all of the proceeds went back to the Davies family to assist with medical expenses.


News
Athens Township mulls rural road repairs

ATHENS TOWNSHIP — Athens Township Supervisors this week pondered how the municipality could approach the repairs that are needed on several rural roads — including Vetter Road and Tutelow Creek Road.

Supervisor and director of public works Susan Seck informed township officials that the municipality would soon have to decide whether to go out and attain bids for those projects, as the necessary manpower and scope of the work is outside of the township’s capabilities.

“These are road repairs that we simply can’t do,” Seck said. “On Vetter Road, we’re taking several truckloads of material out there a month because it keeps dropping several inches every month. It needs to be stripped down to its base, reinforced and stabilized somehow. It’s really bad.”

The roadways suffered the vast majority of damage from floodwaters, and as such, the federal and state emergency management agencies are slated to reimburse the township for the repairs. FEMA is expected to cover 75 percent of the cost, while PEMA is expected to pick up the remaining 25 percent, supervisors said.

However, township officials do not know when FEMA and PEMA will actually reimburse the municipality, which raised questions amongst the board of how to pay for the repairs for the time being. Seck noted that repairs needed on Vetter Road alone could cost upwards of $90,000.

One option that was briefly discussed was the possibility of using Act 13 funds to initially cover the cost of the repairs.

No formal action was taken on the matter this week.

In an unrelated topic, supervisors voted to approve a welding repair to the Thomas Avenue bridge at a cost of $480. The contractor set to perform the work is Metal Fusion.

Supervisors added that the bridge is tentatively scheduled to be closed from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on July 24 while the work is being done.